The Executive Board meets once a quarter, and the meetings are held in January, April, June, and September. These are used to conduct what can be described as the day to day business of the association. Committees give reports on what has happened so far, and decisions are made as to what to do next.
Each church elects a Board Member to attend and represent them. The pastors are automatically part of the board.
Responsibilities of the Youth Director
l. He shall lead committee to promote youth fellowship in the association.
2. Shall promote youth programs in the association and work to strengthen and establish them in the individual churches. ‘
3. Shall work closely with the youth council composed of two (2) members from each church.
4. Shall report to the Executive Committee meetings and the Annual meeting.
5. Shall be elected by the association.
Responsibilities of the Music Director
1. Shall plan special music for associational meetings and other special occasions.
2. Train leaders in local churches.
3. Promote organized music in the churches.
4. Elected by the association and serves on the Budget Committee.
5. Be aware and promote new materials and methods as they are available.
Responsibilities of the Brotherhood Director
1. Promote and plan meeting with his committee and associational RA leaders and for furtherance of World Missions.
2. Help each church and their Brotherhood Director to advance the cause of World Missions.
3. Be aware of new materials and methods as they are available.
4. The Brotherhood Director is elected by the association and serves on the Budget Committee.
5. Report to the association at all Executive Board meetings and the Annual Meeting.
Responsibilities of the WMU Director
1. Lead the association in the promotion, education, and support of missions at the following levels:
d. Local within churches of the association
2. Elected by the WMU.
Responsibilities of the Discipleship Training Director
1. The Director is responsible for the total associational Discipleship Training Program.
a. New church member orientation.
b. Church member training.
c. Church leader training.
2. Recommend the budget for associational Discipleship Training.
3. Assist church leaders in establishing, conducting, enlarging and improving training programs and activities.
4. Keep the association aware of all new materials and methods of presenting them.
Responsibilities of the Sunday School Director
l. Help promote Bible study in the individual churches.
2. Plan and provide for opportunities for church Bible study leaders to develop and improve their skills.
3. Help individual churches find solutions to specific problems which they might have as related to Bible study programs.
4. Report to Executive Board and Annual associational meetings all events and programs and evaluation of their results.
5. Keep churches informed of changing trends in methods and materials.
6. Maintain contact with the Sunday Schools of the association.
Responsibilities of the Trustees
1. Trustees represent the association in legal matters.
2. Elected by the association.
3. According to By-law #11 — The association shall maintain a committee of trustees consisting of five (5) members. Each trustee will serve five consecutive years. This committee will be set up on a rotation system, with the nominating committee nominating one new trustee per year for approval at the Annual Association meeting.
Responsibilities of the State Board Member
l. Relate the association to the work of our Kentucky Baptist Convention.
2. Report back to the Executive Board and associational meeting actions taken by the State Convention and to seek out the association’s feelings on various issues.
3. Elected by the Kentucky Baptist Convention with the association having the privilege of nominating two.
Responsibilities of the Treasurer
1. Receive, properly credit and deposit all monies of the association, keeping accurate records of each transaction.
2. Work with the budget committee to recommend and establish fiscal policies.
3. Give written report and expenditures at each Executive Board meeting and Annual meeting.
4. Examine supporting data for all check requests and issue checks.
5. Work with trustees and other responsible associational officers to assure that properties are adequately insured.
Responsibilities of the Clerk/Secretary
l. The clerk makes a record of all business transactions of the association.
2. Preserves the records.
3. Distributor of minutes
4. To assist church clerks. .
5. Cooperator with committees and moderator.
6. Elected by the Association. (Also see By-law #12)
7. Clerk shall be a member of the Executive Committee and Program Committee.
8. Paid by the Association. (Clerk and Secretary must be same persons — See 1963 Annual Meeting, page 7, Item #46)
9. Services limited to the Associational officers and committees, not to individual churches.
10. Prepares and mails correspondence relative to associational work.
ll. Responsible for storing and maintaining associational files and equipment.
12. Compiles and prepares material for the Annual Meeting.
The assistant clerk acts in the place of the clerk’s absence at the Executive Board meetings, Annual meeting and any special called meetings.
Responsibilities of the Moderator and Assistant Moderator
1. Should be responsible for presiding at all meetings of the Executive Board.
2. Should assist with the planning and preside at the Annual Meeting.
3. Shall serve as chairman and preside over the Associational Council.
4. Shall appoint committees as designated by the By-laws and special committees authorized by the Executive Board or Annual Session.
5. Shall be responsible for maintaining order in all sessions of business.
6. Represent and stand for the will of the majority; and in all things carry out its directions, yet see that the minority rights are respected.
7. Serve as ex-of?cio member of all committees.
8. Limited to 3 year term (See Exec. Comm. Minutes 4/88)
Responsibilities of the Historical Committee
l. This committee is to keep us aware of the past of the association
2. Encourage the churches to record and preserve historical events.
3. Report at the annual meeting.
Responsibilities of the Time and Place Committee
l. Elect the time and place for four (4) quarterly meetings and the Annual meeting.
2. Report at the Annual meeting.
Responsibilities of the Camp Salem Committee Chair
l. Shall be elected by the association.
a. Maintain present facilities.
b. Recommend additional facilities.
c. Ensure that Master Plan be followed.
2. Keep a schedule of events and promote them in the association.
3. Report to the association the progress of the camp at all Executive and Annual meetings.
4. Shall have the authority to spend funds designated and budgeted for Camp Salem.
Responsibilities of the Nominating Committee
1. Appointed by the moderator (NOTE CHANGE: See 1985 Annual Meeting, page 59, Item #75) Motion was made that nominating committee be made up of three (3) members who would serve 3 years on a rotating basis with one going off and one coming on each year. The moderator would appoint one new member each year.
2. The associational nominating committee serves to nominate those general 2 associational officers and associational committees that it is instructed to nominate as stated in the By-laws and Constitution.
3. During the year, the committee also serves to nominate to the Executive Board of the association persons to fill vacancies that might exist.
Responsibilities of the Public Affairs/Christian Life Committee
1. The members of the Public Affairs/Christian Life Committee are, to the best of their ability, to keep informed on the various moral, ethical, social, political and religious issues that confront our association.
2. They are also to keep the association informed on these issues and are to offer guidance to the association as it considers appropriate ways in which to voice its concern.
3. Any public statement the committee may be asked to make on behalf of the association to appropriate government officials will be made in a manner which exemplifies both mature Christian values and love.
Responsibilities of the Family and Pastoral Ministries Chair
1. Provide opportunities for pastors, deacons and other church staff to experience personal and leadership growth.
2. Provide opportunities for orientation and training church committees.
3. Create an awareness of Pastoral Ministry resources and services.
a. Work with ministers on the field to strengthen, encourage and help.
b. Develop a support service for both ministers and families.
c. Develop programs to strengthen and encourage stronger family units.
d. Inform the association of programs, helps, etc. available for the family.
Responsibilities of the Deacon Consultant
l. The associational Deacon Consultant shall be available to the churches to assist in deacon ministries, retreats, or other training needs requested by the churches.
Responsibilities of the Athletic Director
l. The Athletic Director shall serve as chairman of the Athletic Committee.
2. The Director/Committee shall be responsible for planning appropriate athletic activities during the year and arrange for facilities to play such sports (See Ex. Comm. Meeting, l/7/01, Item #8).
3. The Director shall be responsible for scheduling league games for both softball and basketball.
4. The Director/Committee shall encourage churches to display Christian character at all church and associational recreational activities.
Responsibilities of the Communications Chair
1. To create and administer the website on the internet for the Salem Association of Baptists churches.
2. To maintain and update the website on a regular basis to keep the information current as it pertains to the association and to the churches of the association.
3. To maintain a contact list of a person or persons at each represented church to keep the webmaster informed of each church’s activities that they wish to have publicized on the website.
4. To ensure that the website is secure from any outside in?uence that might alter the website contents without authority to do so.
5. It will be each church’s responsibility to appoint a person or persons to be the contact to inform the webmaster of any activities that are to be put on the website.
Responsibilities of the Personnel Committee
1. Facilitate the handling of paid personnel of the association.
2. Recommend personnel to fill vacancies when needed to the Executive Committee.
This committee shall consist of the following: Moderator, Treasurer, and a member-at-large to be nominated by the associational nominating committee.
The personnel committee will not have the authority to hire personnel as this is the duty of the Executive Committee.